John Goheen is a partner in Goodwin’s Antitrust and Competition practice and Complex Litigation & Dispute Resolution business unit. He advises clients on matters involving all aspects of antitrust and competition law, including merger reviews, government antitrust investigations, antitrust litigation, and counseling on a variety of competition issues. He regularly represents clients in antitrust investigations by the FTC, DOJ, and state attorneys general, and has experience counseling clients across a wide range of industries, including technology, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, financial services, consumer products, retail, infrastructure, industrials and manufacturing, and business and professional services.
John’s representative experience includes advising:
- Qualtrics International in its definitive agreement to be acquired by Silver Lake, in partnership with CPP Investments, for approximately $12.5 billion
- PPD in its $17.4 billion acquisition by Thermo Fisher Scientific*
- Melrose in its $3.625 billion sale of Nortek Air Management Business to Madison Industries*
- Hellman & Friedman in its acquisition of The NPD Group*
- BMC Stock Holdings in its merger with Builders FirstSource*
- Renaissance Learning in its acquisition of myON*
- Lorillard in the FTC review and clearance of its $27.4 billion sale to Reynolds American*
- K2M in its $1.4 billion acquisition by Stryker*
- Mars in its acquisition of KIND North America*
- Applied Systems in its acquisition of Indio Technologies*
- HCA in its simultaneous acquisitions of several hospitals from Tenet Health and Community Health Systems in Houston, TX*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin
John serves on the board for the Lutheran Social Services of the National Capital Association (“LSSNCA”), a DC-based social services organization focusing on refugee and immigrant resettlement, workforce development programs, family and children services, and health, wellness, and education services.
John also previously served on the DC Bar Steering Committee on Antitrust and Competition for several years.
Prior to joining Goodwin, John was counsel at Simpson Thacher & Bartlett.
American University Washington College of Law
(magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- New York
Recognition & Awards
- Who’s Who Legal: Competition – “Future Leader” – 2019-2022
- Capitol Pro Bono Honor Roll – 2020-2022