James Lathrop is an associate in the financial restructuring practice at Goodwin. He started at the firm in 2022. James concentrates his legal practice in representing corporate debtors, equity sponsors, secured and unsecured creditors, and committees in bankruptcy matters and out-of-court restructurings.
In addition to his billable work, James participates in the New York State Clemency Project.
James’ representative matters include:
- Novan: Representation of official committee of unsecured creditors in chapter 11 proceedings
- Represented official committee of unsecured creditors in major pharmaceutical restructuring*
- Represented a leading telecommunications provider in its prearranged chapter 11 filing*
- Represented a worldwide oil and gas drilling company and certain of its affiliates in connection with their prearranged chapter 11 restructuring*
- Represented an oil and gas exploration and production company with their prepackaged chapter 11 restructuring*
- Represented an ad hoc group of unsecured noteholders in the restructuring of one of the world’s leading industrial aviation service providers, in connection with the company’s balance sheet and fleet restructuring*
- Represented the private equity sponsors in the successful completion of an oil and gas company’s out-of-court recapitalization*
- Represented a retailer in their chapter 11 filing, including establishing store closing procedures and a 363 sale process*
- Represented an automotive replacement parts supplier in connection with its prepackaged plan of reorganization*
- Represented a provider of aftermarket management services for mobile device carriers in connection with its prepackaged restructuring of its term loan indebtedness*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
James is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute.
Wake Forest University School of Law
U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware, Honorable Mary F. Walrath
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court of Delaware
- Co-Author, “Majority Lenders Prevail in Winner-Takes-All Battle Upholding Controversial Uptier Transaction,” ABI Journal, September 2023
- Co-Author, “Bankrupt in the Metaverse,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law, June 30, 2023
- “How Bankruptcy Courts Weigh Requests to Compel or Intervene in Mediation,” Turnaround Management Association, April 2022
- “The Rising Trend in Administrative Claimants Programs Leading to ‘Agreement’ to a Lesser Treatment in Major Retail Cases,” 30 No. 6 J. Bankr. L. & Prac. NL Art. 4, Norton Journal of Bankruptcy Law and Practice, December 2021