Anne-Charlotte Rivière is a partner in Goodwin’s Life Sciences and Technology groups. Ms. Rivière focuses on transactions in the life sciences and technology sectors, acting for companies at all stages of development, as well as investors and management teams.
She guides these companies beyond their equity financing on all their strategic challenges including collaboration, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings and reorganization.
She also assists private equity funds in their leveraged buy-out (LBO) transactions in several sectors including the healthcare and other regulated sectors.
She is also regularly involved in secondary transactions.Prior to joining Goodwin in 2021, Ms. Rivière was a partner at Dechert and previously worked in other international law firms.
Ms. Rivière’s recent representative transactions include advising:
- DNA Script, a Parisian manufacturer of synthetic DNA, on its €172 million Series C financing.
- Depixus, a French life science tools company, on its €30.6 million Series A financing.
- Robocath, a company that designs, develops and commercializes cardiovascular robotic systems for the treatment of vascular diseases, in connection with its €40 million Series C financing, as well as on the establishment of China-based joint-venture company and related strategic agreement.*
- Biomunex Pharmaceuticals, a French biopharmaceutical company, in connection with its equity financing and strategic agreements, including a strategic exclusive worldwide license and co-development agreement with Onward Therapeutics SA.*
- Arkhn, a platform for health data standardisation and optimisation, on its fundraising.*
- Diabeloop, a company that develops innovative solutions, integrating therapeutic artificial intelligence, to automate the treatment of type 1 diabetes, on its Series A and Series B financings.*
- Qynapse, a French medical technology company, on its equity financings.*
- Lauxera Capital Partners on the €50 million Series C financing round of Lifen, a developer of a healthcare data management platform designed to streamline medical communication.
- 4Bio Capital and Ysios Capital, as investors, in connection with biotechnology company SparingVision’s €44.5 million Series A2 fundraising.*
- Bpifrance and Pfizer Venture Investments on their investments in the Series B financing of ImCheck, a biotech company that designs and develops a new generation of immunotherapeutic antibodies.*
- Kurma Partners, other Venture capital funds, and Bpifrance in their investment of a total amount of €4 million in Mila, a French company developing digital therapeutic solutions which tap into links between music and children’s cognitive developments.*
- Illumina Ventures, Tuspark Capital Management, Kurma Partners, Idinvest, LBO France, other Venture capital funds, and Paris Saclay Seed Fund in connection with their Series B investment in Stilla Technologies, a company that develops, manufactures and sells equipment for the analysis of nucleic acids by digital PCR, for a total amount of €20 million.*
- Sofinnova Partners, a leading European venture capital firm in life sciences, specializing in healthcare and sustainability on its investments in several biotech and medtech companies including CorWave, a developer of innovative implantable cardiac pumps, AblaCare, a medical device company specialized in female fertility, and HighLife, a trans-catheter mitral valve replacement company.*
- Innovafeed, a biotech company leader in the rearing of insects for animal feed, on the context of its €140 million fundraising value.*
- Agronutris, a start-up specializing in the production of insect-based proteins, on its €100 million fundraising.
- Vestiaire Collective, a French online second-hand fashion marketplace, on its €178 million financing round backed by Kering and Tiger Global Management.*
- Alma, a French fintech company that offers fractioned and deferred payment solutions for merchants and consumers, in connection with its €49 million Series B financing round.*
- Supervan, a French start-up specializing in urban logistics and digitalized transport of bulky products, in connection with its €3 million fund raising from Invest Capital.*
- Big Bag 'N Go, an urban waste management company, on its fundraising of approximately €4 million from A Plus Finance, M Capital via the W PME Valorisation FCPR and several other angel investors.*
- Ascendance Flight Technologies, a sustainable flight solutions provider, on its fund raising.*
- Protera, an AI-driven start-up designing and developing new proteins for the food, agriculture, environment and health industries, on its €8,5 million Series A financing.
- Sofinnova Partners, a leading European venture capital firm in industrial biotech, on its investments in several industrial biotech companies including MicroPep Technologies, a French biotechnology company developing biological alternatives to agrochemical molecules. and Microphyt, a company specializing in natural solutions based on microalgae for nutrition and well-being, totalling 28.5 million euros.*
- Vsquared Ventures and Metaplanet, on the €6M Series A financing round of Zama, an Open Source framework for securing AI applications in the cloud.
- ArchiMed, a European investment firm specialized in the healthcare industries, on its reinvestment in Polyplus Transfection, a developer of innovative and cost-effective technology used in gene and cell therapy, following the partial sale of the group to global private equity firm Warburg Pincus.*
- Eurazeo PME, a subsidiary of Eurazeo specialized in backing medium-sized companies, on its acquisition of Péters Surgical, a French group that designs, produces and distributes single-use medical equipment for surgical procedures.*
- Cathay Capital Private Equity, a leading private equity firm dedicated to cross-border investment in Europe, China, and North America, on its investment in Cenexi Group, a European industrial organization specialized in pharmaceutical development and the manufacture of high value-added sterile products.*
- Committed Advisors on various portfolio acquisitions.*
- 17Capital on various portfolio acquisitions.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
LL.M., International Business Law2003
University of Exeter
DESS, Business Law2002
University of Paris-Dauphine
Master’s Degree, Management2001
University of Paris-Dauphine
Recognition & Awards
Anne-Charlotte is consistently recognized as a leader in her field by International and French preeminent, peer-reviewed publications.
As such, she is ranked by Chambers Europe 2021 for Private Equity: Venture Capital and by The Legal 500 EMEA 2021 for Healthcare and Life Sciences, and where she is also recognized in the area of Private Equity: Venture/Growth Capital.
Ms. Rivière was also recognized by CFNews magazine in the "top 5 lawyers on the €20 million or more rounds in 2019" and in the "top 10 most active lawyers in the Tech in 2019."
Anne-Charlotte is recommended in Venture Capital Law by Best Lawyers in France 2022.
- L’Europe renforce le contrôle des rachats des stratégiques BioTech, Interview Maddyness, April 2020
- Biotechs : décryptage du nouveau régime de contrôle des investissements étrangers, Interview Le Point, November 2020
- Panelist — “Key Collaboration and Financing Issues during the Covid-19 Pandemic”, HealthTech Innovation Days, October 2020