Mr. Brown defends financial services companies against a wide variety of putative class actions arising under the Real Estate Settlement Procedure Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Debt Collection Practice Act (FDCPA), Servicemember's Civil Relief Act (SCRA), state unfair and deceptive trade practices acts, and other consumer lending statutes and regulations. He also represents financial services companies in civil and criminal investigations before various federal and state agencies, as well as in claims for violations of the False Claims Act. His recent work includes:
- Successful defense of class certification of a putative nationwide class of individuals seeking recovery under the TCPA for allegedly receiving telephone calls on their cellphones marketing residential home mortgage modifications.
- Successful defense of national mortgage lender in MDL proceeding alleging violations of federal and state laws in the origination of mortgage loans
- Successful defense of national debt collector in putative class actions alleging violations of the TCPA and FDCPA
- Successful defense of two national mortgage lenders in putative class actions alleging violations of federal and state fair lending laws
- Successful defense of national mortgage lender in action alleging violations of the False Claims Act
- Defense of national mortgage lender in putative class action challenging captive mortgage insurance arrangements
- Representation of national mortgage lender in putative class actions alleging violations of TCPA and FDCPA
- Representation of companies in federal and state investigations
Mr. Brown is a member of the American Bar Association and other state and local organizations.
Mr. Brown is a former special assistant district attorney for Middlesex County, Massachusetts. He has also served as a faculty member for Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education trial practice law seminar.