Mr. Chopra has an international client base, spanning Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and the U.S. He regularly negotiates with European insurance and pension fund investors, U.S. state pension plans, sovereign wealth plans, and development finance institutions (DFIs), including CDC Group, DEG, FMO, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), the European Investment Fund (EIF), International Finance Corp. (IFC), and the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
He has joined the impact investment initiative at Goodwin and commonly advises first-time and second-time fund managers on seed capital, joint ventures, and team arrangements.
Representative matters include:
- Abingworth on its $315 million 12th life sciences fund, as well as on its first dedicated clinical co-development fund
- Ares Management on the structuring and establishment of its €1.78 billion European Real Estate Fund V and the establishment of several European co-investment vehicles
- BNP Paribas on high-net-worth feeder investments into blue-chip private equity and real estate funds
- Capital Dynamics on its funds of funds, secondaries funds, direct co-investment funds, energy and infrastructure funds, managed accounts, secondary transactions, and carry/co-investment arrangements
- Catalyst Principal Partners on its $155 million second private equity fund*
- Confidential general partners (GPs) on €2 billion+ of real estate fundraising and target €1.5 billion+ of debt fundraising
- First State Investments on its €2 billion+ European Diversified Infrastructure Fund
- Growthpoint Investec African Properties on its target $500 million pan-African permanent capital vehicle, cornerstoned by the IFC*
- Inspired Evolution on its target $250 million renewable energy fund
- LGT on the acquisition of the Indian impact investment platform Aspada from Soros Economic Development Fund (SEDF) as well as on fundraising and structuring matters across their various strategies
- Palamon Capital Partners on its €400 million+ third European private equity fund and on related financing arrangements
- Patron Capital on its €949 million fifth real estate fund*
- Pension fund of a major European bank on its staff pension scheme investments and managed interest rate and inflation exposures
- Phoenix Equity Partners on its latest £415 million fundraising
- The Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC) on the promote arrangements for its A$2.35 billion global infrastructure fund*
- Willis Towers Watson on fund investments and direct co-investments into European and U.S. private equity, real estate, infrastructure, and credit
Mr. Chopra also has broad experience of listing and secondary transactions on the London Stock Exchange, the Channel Islands Stock Exchange, and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, including acting on ICG-Longbow Senior Secured UK Property Debt Investments Ltd. (main market IPO, secondary, change of investment policy)* and the public reverse takeover of Wichford PLC by Redefine International PLC (now RDI REIT PLC).*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Chopra delivers an annual seminar for Invest Europe introducing fund executives to fund structuring considerations.
Mr. Chopra spent six months working in the UK Parliament from Q3 2009 to Q1 2010.