Mr. Chopra’s clients include significant institutions based in Europe and Africa. He regularly works on infrastructure, real estate and private equity funds in Europe and in emerging markets, negotiating with U.S. state pension plans, sovereign wealth plans and DFIs, including CDC, DEG, FMO, EBRD, EIF, IFC, and USAID.
He has joined the impact investment initiative at Goodwin and he commonly advises first-time and second-time fund managers in emerging markets, including on structuring institutional and non-institutional seed capital into the manager, joint ventures and team arrangements.
Representative matters include:
- Abingworth on their sixth bioventure fund as well as on their first dedicated clinical co-development fund*
- Abraaj on structuring one of the first significant private equity funds in Pakistan, seeded by USAID*
- Bank of Ireland on their staff pension scheme investments into various U.S. and European private equity and hedge funds*
- BNP Paribas on structuring feeder fund aggregators for high net worth individuals into various third party master funds*
- Capital Dynamics on their funds of funds, secondaries funds, direct co-investment funds, energy and infrastructure funds and managed accounts, including a $462.5 million clean energy and infrastructure fund, a $564 million secondaries fund and a $150 million managed account*
- Eastern Africa focused private equity manager on their target $200 million fundraising*
- European private equity manager on their target €400-500 million fundraising*
- First State Investments on their €2 billion European Diversified Infrastructure Fund*
- Inspired Evolution on their target $250 million renewable energy fund*
- Investec Asset Management and Growthpoint Properties on their target $500 million pan-African permanent capital vehicle, cornerstoned by the IFC*
- Patron Capital on their €880 million+ fourth real estate fund and their €949 million fifth real estate fund*
- QIC on their target A $1.75 billion first global infrastructure fund*
- Willis Towers Watson and their clients on investments into European and U.S. private equity funds*
Mr. Chopra also has broad experience of listing and secondary transactions on AIM, the Main Market of the London Stock Exchange, the Channel Islands Stock Exchange and the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, including acting on the IPO of ICG Longbow’s real estate debt fund on the Main Market of the LSE, together with its subsequent change in investment policy, and the public reverse takeover of Wichford P.L.C. by Redefine International plc.*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Mr. Chopra delivers an annual seminar for Invest Europe introducing fund executives to fund structuring considerations.
Mr. Chopra spent six months working in the UK Parliament from Q3 2009 to Q1 2010.