Freddie Akrouche is a member of the Real Estate Industry group and represents clients in a variety of operational real estate, distressed real estate, and commercial real estate transactions, including complex joint ventures, restructurings and recapitalizations, mortgage, construction and mezzanine financings, and asset-level and entity-level acquisitions and dispositions. Freddie also advises commercial real estate investment managers in establishing and managing real estate investment funds.
Freddie’s recent experience includes:
- Representation of Bain Capital Real Estate in structuring real estate investments through joint ventures and co-invest vehicles, with both international and domestic investors and operators, in various asset classes including industrial, hospitality & leisure, and medical office
- Representation of Brookfield Properties in connection with real estate joint ventures, acquisitions, dispositions, and mortgage and equity-pledged financings, including:
- Minority interest sale through joint venture structuring with a US institutional investor for One Liberty Plaza, a Class A commercial office building in Manhattan (including a $850 million mortgage refinancing)
- Minority interest sale through joint venture structuring with a sovereign wealth fund of One New York Plaza, a Class A commercial office building in Manhattan (including a $750 million mortgage refinancing)
- The equity and debt restructuring of a portfolio of eight commercial office buildings located in downtown Washington, DC valued in excess of $700 million
- The mortgage and equity-pledged refinancing of various portfolios of industrial real estate assets located across the United States valued in excess of $5 billion
- The acquisition and financing of numerous commercial real estate assets across various asset classes throughout the United States, with total transaction value in excess of $5 billion
- Representation of a nationally recognized real estate investment management company in connection with development joint ventures across various asset classes including life sciences, multi-family and mixed used campuses, with total transaction value in excess of $3.5 billion
- Representation of a nationally recognized real estate investment management company in structuring co-investment vehicles with international and domestic investors for the development of various multi-family and industrial development projects throughout the United States
- Representation of a nationally recognized real estate investment management company in connection with the formation of multiple private investment funds comprised of foreign and domestic investors focused on the acquisition and disposition of multi-family apartment buildings in the northeast corridor of the US, together with representation of the client in the acquisition and disposition of fund assets through “REIT”-compliant structures, including the sale of a multi-family apartment building in the greater New York City area valued in excess of $250 million
Freddie’s practice has benefitted from global experience and perspective from his time working abroad after being chosen as the inaugural participant of Goodwin’s Global Rotation Program. He is also a member of the American Bar Association. Freddie is also a member of the Urban Land Institute, a global organization that focuses on a variety of verticals within the real estate industry.
University of North Carolina School of Law
Recognition & Awards
Freddie is recognized by Chambers USA for his work in Real Estate since 2021.