Ed Glazer is of counsel in Goodwin's Tax practice and its nationally recognized Real Estate Capital Markets and Real Estate Industry groups. He focuses principally on structuring and implementing tax-oriented commercial transactions of all types, including real estate and venture capital transactions, mergers and acquisitions, pension investments in real estate involving issues of unrelated business taxable income, leveraged financings, and workout and debt restructurings. Ed regularly advises clients in structuring collective investment vehicles, structuring real estate securitizations, forming and operating public and private REITs, and forming real estate funds. He is annually recognized as one of the nation’s leading attorneys in the REIT industry by Chambers and The Legal 500.
Ed represents clients in the real estate securities and capital markets and real estate investment management areas, including Boston Properties, Archstone, Donahue Schriber Realty Group, Gaming and Leisure Properties, Inc., and Global Student Accommodation Group (“GSA”).
- Representing Boston Properties in connection with the structuring of joint ventures to own the General Motors Building and Times Square Tower in New York City,Transbay Tower in San Francisco, and 360 Park Avenue South for operating partnership units
- Counseling Donahue Schriber in connection with its operation as a private REIT, including the structuring of a joint venture with a Canadian pension plan
- Representing Gaming and Leisure Properties in connection with structuring the acquisition and leasing of gaming facilities, including the acquisition of gaming facilities from The Cordish Companies for $1.8 billion payable in cash and operating partnership units
- Serving as expert witness for Archstone in connection with its defense of an alleged breach of tax protection agreements
- Restructuring a public C Corporation to allow it to be taxed as a REIT
- Representing GSA in the formation of a joint venture to own US student housing with an initial seed investment of $1.6 billion
Harvard Law School
(magna cum laude)
University of Pennsylvania
(magna cum laude)
- New York
Recognition & Awards
Ed has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America Best Lawyers for his work in Tax Law 2022-2023.
Ed has been selected for inclusion in Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (Capital Markets: REITs), Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, U.S. News-Best Lawyers and The Legal 500 U.S. He has also been selected as a Band 1 or 2 Attorney and most recently as a Notable Practitioner and Senior Statesman by Chambers in its nationwide REIT ratings since 2007.
While attending law school, Ed was Editor of the Harvard Law Review.
Ed has been a frequent panelist on tax panels at NAREIT’s annual Law and Accounting conferences and at other conferences.