John Haggerty is a partner in and co-chair of Goodwin’s Public M&A / Corporate Governance practice. He works on a wide variety of corporate and securities matters, including public and private mergers and acquisitions, public and private offerings of equity and debt securities by public companies, corporate governance and other matters of general corporate and securities law. He has been recognized in the Corporate/M&A: Capital Markets category by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business.
Mr. Haggerty’s recent work includes representing:
- Slate Real Capital in $2.3 billion acquisition of mortgage loan and securitization business from Annaly Capital Management
- Represented special committee of Cole Credit Property Trust V, Inc. in comments with its acquisition by a related party, CIM Finance Trust
- Help/Systems, Inc. in its $217 million take-private of GLOBALScape, Inc.
- TIER REIT, Inc. in its merger with Cousins Properties, valued at $7.8 billion
- DCT Industrial Trust in its $8.4 billion sale to Prologis
- EPR Properties in its $830 million acquisition of CNL Lifestyles, Inc.
- Rockwood Capital in its $620.8 million interest sale of Mill Creek Residential Trust
- Essex Property Trust in its $15.4 billion acquisition of BRE Properties, Inc.
- AvalonBay Communities, Inc. in its $16 billion joint acquisition of Archstone Communities from Lehman Brothers
- athenahealth, Inc. in connection with its acquisition of Epocrates, Inc.
- The special committee of CreXus Investment Corp. in connection with a review of strategic alternatives and its $1 billion sale to Annaly Capital Management
- Sonesta International Hotels Corporation in connection with its acquisition by Hospitality Properties Trust
Mr. Haggerty is a member of the Boston, Massachusetts and American Bar Associations. He is an adjunct professor at Columbia University, where he teaches a course on real estate M&A.
Boston College Law School
(magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Haggerty is regularly selected for inclusion in The Legal 500 US.
Mr. Haggerty has been selected for inclusion in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business. While attending law school, he served as Executive Editor of the Boston College Law Review.
Mr. Haggerty’s recent article publications include:
- “Evaluating COVID-19 M&A Opportunities,” Hotel Management (April 2020)
- “Mergers and Acquisitions: Impact on the Real Estate Technology Revolution,” Corporate Real Estate Journal (January 2020)