Tim Keegan is an associate in Goodwin’s Intellectual Property Litigation practice. Tim litigates complex civil and intellectual property matters for a wide range of clients.
His areas of focus include patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, unfair competition, licensing disputes, and platform liability, and he regularly advises clients on managing IP-related risks.
Tim has extensive experience in federal court litigation and appeals, and he has practiced in proceedings before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the International Trade Commission, and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He has also successfully litigated for clients in WIPO UDRP proceedings.
- Representing a medical device company in trade secret misappropriation and patent infringement lawsuit
- Representing a data security and cybersecurity firm in patent litigation concerning multi-factor authentication
- Representing cybersecurity intelligence firm BitSight in patent and false advertising litigation
- Representing a startup building artificial intelligence models for the healthcare industry in trademark infringement lawsuit
- Representing a technology company specializing in golf simulator technology in copyright infringement and breach of contract lawsuit
- Represented a mortgage loan provider in trademark infringement litigation following appeal of WIPO UDRP proceeding
- Represented Pfizer in litigation against Merck concerning alleged misappropriation of trade secrets and confidential business information in the development of multi-conjugate pneumococcal vaccines*
- Represented LG Electronics in a complex commercial litigation brought on an emergency basis regarding SEP/FRAND, IP licensing, and competition law disputes, rapidly resulting in a settlement on favorable terms for our client*
- Represented market research firm Nielsen Consumer LLC in trade secret litigation concerning data collection and analytics and a related, successful appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit*
- Client secondment to Pinterest, Inc. as IP & Content Counsel, focusing on copyright and trademark issues and platform liability*
- Represented Abiomed in a patent infringement dispute regarding the company’s core product, the Impella® line of heart pumps. After a favorable Markman ruling, the Court granted summary judgment of non-infringement, giving Abiomed a complete victory and clearing the way for the company’s $16.6 billion acquisition by Johnson & Johnson*
- Represented India-based vehicle manufacturer in appeal of ITC’s Section 337 trade dress infringement determinations. The Federal Circuit ruled that Mahindra’s redesigned vehicle did not infringe the claimant’s claimed trade dress in “jeep” vehicles, giving the client a significant win and allowing it to continue importing its products into the U.S.*
- Defended wildlife preservation non-profit, which advocates for the relisting of gray wolves on the federal endangered species list, against a plaintiff that claimed to own trademark rights in the term #RelistWolves. Won dismissal in Montana of plaintiff’s complaint on personal jurisdiction grounds and denial in Idaho of plaintiff’s motion for a preliminary injunction*
- Represented audio technology innovator in multi-patent litigations against various car manufactures and defending the patents against IPR petitions challenging the validity of the asserted patents*
- Represented Walmart Inc. in various copyright infringement cases*
* Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Tim was an associate at White & Case LLP and, before, served as Secondee – IP & Content Counsel at Pinterest, Inc.
During law school, Tim served as an Executive Editor for the Journal of Law & Business.
NYU School of Law
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Recognition & Awards
In 2021, Tim was awarded the New York County Lawyers’ Associate Pro Bono Award.
While in law school, Tim was awarded the Jack J. Katz Memorial Award, awarded to the student who demonstrated the highest excellence in the field of entertainment and intellectual property law.
Tim’s publications include:
- Co-author, “The Art of AI: Protected by Copyright Law or Up for Grabs?,” Goodwin Insight, August 24, 2023
- Co-author, “MetaBirkins Post-Trial Ruling Clarifies Line Between Trademark Infringement and Free Expression and Grants Broad Injunctive Relief,” Goodwin Client Alert, June 28, 2023