Mark Opper is a partner in the Business Law department at Goodwin and a member of the firm’s nationally recognized Real Estate Industry group and REITs and Real Estate M&A practice. He also participates in the firm’s Capital Markets, Public M&A/Corporate Governance, and Private Investment Funds practices.
Mark has extensive transactional experience advising public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings, including IPOs and follow-on and 144A offerings, with a particular focus on REITs and real estate operating companies. He also regularly advises public companies on corporate governance matters and private real estate investment funds in connection with the fund formation process and ongoing governance and management matters.
Mark’s recent representative transactions for clients include:
- Currently representing Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers in its pending acquisition of IAA
- Mimecast in its privatization by funds advised by Permira
- Brookfield in the acquisition of all of the outstanding limited partnership units of Brookfield Property Partners and Class A shares of Brookfield Property REIT by Brookfield Asset Management
- Represented Berkshire Grey in its business combination transaction with Revolution Acceleration Acquisition Corp, a special purpose acquisition company
- Represented Nautic Partners in its acquisition of American Renal Associates
- Represented the independent Transaction Committee of the Board of Directors of Sprint Corporation in Sprint’s merger with T-Mobile US
- Represented Normandy Real Estate Partners in its sale to Columbia Property Trust
- Brookfield Property Partners in its acquisition of GGP, Inc. and its restructuring as Brookfield Property REIT
- Easterly Government Properties in its initial public offering
- Mid-America Apartment Communities in its acquisitions of Colonial Properties Trust and Post Properties
- Cole Credit Properties Trust II in its merger with Spirit Realty Capital
- Five Mile Capital Partners in the acquisition of Prime Group Realty Trust
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate in the contribution of assets to the IPO of Hudson Pacific Properties
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate in the sale of a minority interest in Americold Realty Trust to The Yucapia Companies
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate in the acquisitions of CNL Hotels & Resorts and Glenborough Realty Trust
Mark is a member of the American Bar Association and the Massachusetts and New York State Bar Associations. He previously served as the co-chair of the MCLE program “Understanding and Utilizing REITs & Real Estate Joint Venture Agreements.”
Prior to joining Goodwin, Mark was an associate at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in New York.
University of Pennsylvania
(magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
Recognition & Awards
Mark has been selected for inclusion in The Legal 500 U.S. 2023 for his work in REITs. While attending law school, Mark was a member of the University of Pennsylvania Law Review.