Beni’s experience covers a broad spectrum of deals and structures through collaborations, licenses and acquisitions, service-based platforms, manufacturing, supply and distribution arrangements, clinical, services, and research and development agreements, joint ventures, and strategic partnerships and alliances. He also works with private and public companies to maximize value and revenue from intellectual property and technology portfolios in a way that allows companies to optimize their assets, advising clients on a variety of related legal and business issues.
With additional experience in the areas of corporate governance and business, private equity, leveraged debt financing, and real estate investments and funds, he also guides emerging growth entities, middle market companies, and multinational corporations in their strategic planning, development and growth.
Beni started his legal career at Norton Rose in London. Prior to joining Goodwin, he headed the global technology, intellectual property and commercial transactions group at another international law firm, and most recently was a partner at Foley & Larder. He also previously resided in the UK, Brazil and Israel.
University of Cambridge
University of Oxford
St. Edmund Hall
University of Oxford
- District of Columbia
- England & Wales
Recognition & Awards
- Selected to the 2023 Top 50 Lawyers In America list by America’s Top Lawyers
- The Legal 500 for ERISA litigation, large M&A deals ($1bn+), technology transactions, M&A deals (venture capital and emerging companies), technology in both outsourcing and data protection and privacy, healthcare and life sciences and patent licensing (Tier 1)
- Voted Global Technology Transactions Expert of the Year in California by The Lawyer Network
- Voted Technology Licensing Lawyer of the Year in California by Corporate INTL Global Awards
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business notes that Mr. Surpin wins plaudits for his brilliance as a practitioner, and is a growing presence in the legal community. Chambers also notes that “sources compliment his ‘amazing command of the law,’ which ‘is blended with practical consideration of what drives business.’”
- Southern California Super Lawyers®
- Voted Best of the Bar by the San Diego Business Journal
- Winner of the Finance Monthly Deal Maker of the Year Award
- Voted one of the Best Lawyers in San Diego by LegalForce
- Voted San Diego Top Attorney by the Daily Transcript for IP Transactional and Corporate Transactional
Beni regularly speaks, authors and teaches on a variety of technology transfer and collaboration related topics, covering the most recent business strategies, legal debates, challenges and solutions on maximizing value and revenue from intellectual property both in the US and globally.
- Speaker, “Playing on a Global Stage: Understanding Cyber Trends and Making the Big Deals,” Cyber Week Tel Aviv, June 29, 2022