Ms. Luz represents corporations, mutual funds, investment advisors, higher education institutions, officers and directors in a wide range of investigations and litigation matters. Recent representations include:
- The Audit Committee of a public transportation company in internal and SEC investigations of alleged accounting improprieties.
- A software company in the investigation of alleged violations of the False Claims Act, violations of export controls, and visa fraud, resulting in a non-prosecution agreement with the government.
- A pharmaceutical company in an internal investigation of alleged violations of the False Claims Act and alleged violations of cost accounting standards for government contracts.
- Multiple companiesin responding to subpoenas from regulators, including the DOJ, SEC, FINRA and state attorneys general.
- The special committee of the board of directors of a large technology company, in 220 Demand Litigation and class action breach of fiduciary duty litigation following announcement of a merger.
- The special committee of the board of directors of a software company in class action litigation concerning a completed merger.
- Advising multiple clients on managing litigation risks of anticipated mergers or acquisitions.
- The demand review committee of a mutual fund board, investigating a shareholder demand that alleged that the board and the fund’s investment adviser had violated their respective duties when the fund invested in an affiliated fund.
- The demand review committee of a closed-end fund board, investigating a shareholder demand that asserted that the board had breached its fiduciary duties by allegedly failing to take sufficient action to address market price discount to NAV and by approving certain investment advisory agreements that called for the payment of allegedly excessive advisory fees.
- A financial services company, successfully defending claims arising from its provision of services to tribal programs lending to subprime consumers.
- Higher education institutions in ADA and Rehabilitation Act claims concerning accessibility of video and audio content posted online.
- A venture capital firm, defending litigation involving allegations related to its acquisition of an acquired company by purported minority shareholders of that company prior to acquisition.
Ms. Luz is a member of the American Bar Association, the Boston Bar Association, and the Women’s Bar Association.
Prior to joining Goodwin, Ms. Luz was an associate at Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton. She also served as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County (MA), where she tried a variety of jury and non-jury misdemeanor and felony cases and argued dispositive and evidentiary motions.