Mr. Semple’s representative experience includes advising the following clients on the following transactions:
Medical Properties Trust:
- Its c. £1.05 billion term loan financing of its c. £1.16 billion acquisition (in a joint venture with Waterland Private Equity Investments) of Priory Group, the leading independent provider of behavioural care in the UK
- Its acquisition of a portfolio of select behavioural health facilities, and their concurrent leaseback, from the leading UK behavioural health provider The Priory Group.
- The c. €1.1 billion term loan financing of its c. €2.4 billion acquisition from Brookfield of the UK and European logistics business Gazeley (formerly known as IDI Gazeley, now known as GLP Europe)*
- The c. £300 million term loan financing of a portfolio of English, French, German and Italian logistics properties*
- The c. £262 million term loan financing of the development of a portfolio of English, French and German logistics properties*
Lone Star Funds:
- Its c. €2.4 billion acquisition of the Dutch state-owned “bad bank” Propertize (and, thereby, the acquisition of Propertize’s portfolio of performing, sub- and non-performing loans secured by real estate and its portfolio of properties, in each case in and across several European countries), the c. €1.28 billion term loan financing of that acquisition and the contemporaneous back-to-back sale of certain of the performing loans owned by Propertize*
- The c. €805 million senior and c. €130 million mezzanine term loan financings of its acquisition of the Cœur Défense office building in Paris (the largest, by available floor space, commercial building in Europe)*
- Its c. €2.3 billion acquisition from Aviva of a portfolio of performing, sub- and non-performing English and Scottish residential mortgage loans with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of c. €2.7 billion and a portfolio of English and Scottish properties, the c. €1.6 billion term loan financing of that acquisition and the contemporaneous back-to-back sales of certain of those performing loans*
- The c. €146 million term loan financing of its c. €209 million acquisition from DELA Vastgoed of a portfolio of Dutch commercial (office and retail) properties*
- Its c. €1.17 billion acquisition from Commerzbank of a portfolio of non-performing Austrian, Belgian, Czech, Dutch, Hungarian, Luxembourg, Romanian, Slovakian, Swiss and Turkish loans with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of c. €1.78 billion and the c. €761 million term loan financing of that acquisition*
- The c. €176 million term loan financing of its acquisition of a portfolio of Slovenian commercial properties*
Bain Capital Credit:
- The c. €268 million term loan financing of its c. €432 million acquisition from Piraeus Bank of a portfolio of Greek non-performing loans with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of c. €1.95 billion secured by real estate*
- The c. €134 million term loan financing of its c. €212 million acquisition from Caixa Geral de Depósitos of a portfolio of Portuguese properties and non-performing loans with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of c. €449 million secured by real estate*
- The c. €124 million term loan financing of its c. €183 million (in aggregate) acquisitions from Banca Carige and certain other Italian banks of several portfolios of Italian “unlikely-to-pay” loans with an aggregate outstanding principal balance of c. €431 million secured by real estate*
- Its c. €602 million acquisition from Liberbank of a portfolio of Spanish commercial and residential properties and the vendor financing of that acquisition*
LaSalle Investment Management: Its c. £49 million acquisition from Deutsche Pfandbriefbank of loans made in relation to the Nobu Hotel London Shoreditch
Ares Management: The c. €242 million term loan financing of its c. €316 million acquisition from Amundi of a portfolio of Austrian, Dutch, Finnish and German commercial (office) properties*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin.
Prior to joining Goodwin in 2020, Mr. Semple was a partner at Kirkland & Ellis LLP.