Brian Lerman is a partner in Goodwin’s Real Estate Industry practice. He brings deep real estate experience given his more than 15 years of practice, including almost nine years as in-house counsel in a public REIT. His work includes real estate investments, leasing, development, construction, finance, joint ventures, hospitality, workouts, REITs, and equity issues. He has experience negotiating on behalf of institutional investors, public companies, private corporations and developers of office buildings, retail shopping centers, hotels, multifamily housing properties, industrial properties, and medical facilities. He has also investors in the PropTech space through direct and fund related investments.
- Served as an in-house resource for a public REIT for purchases, sales, financings, joint ventures, and other development-related activities
- Managed a 20 asset hotel mezzanine foreclosure and loan restructuring
- Represented a large institutional investor in taking a private multi-billion dollar hotel REIT private
- Represented a public REIT in the development of a 40+ acre mixed-use center in an infill location, covering zoning, permitting, and land use
- Managed a successful construction defect litigation for a multifamily REIT
- Participated in investment committee meetings, audit committee meetings, and disclosure committee meetings as in-house counsel
- Assisted client in the making of direct investments in PropTech companies and investments in investment funds dedicated to PropTech
Brian started his career as an associate at Goodwin. He joined a public multifamily housing REIT in 2013 and served in various capacities, most recently as Vice President – Associate General Counsel. He returned to Goodwin in 2022 bringing nine years of institutional experience.
Brian is a member of the American Bar Association.
Boston College Law School
- District of Columbia
Recognition & Awards
While attending law school, Brian was the Editor-in-Chief of the Boston College Environmental Affairs Law Review.