Jordan Weiss is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Department, a member of the Business Litigation practice, and a leader of the firm’s Post Closing Disputes for Technology and Private Equity companies sector. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, partnership disputes, and acquisition disputes, with a focus on issues impacting Goodwin’s private equity clients. Mr. Weiss also has extensive experience representing clients in corporate governance matters and shareholder rights disputes.
Mr. Weiss has experience representing commercial clients ranging from closely held corporations to Fortune 500 companies in a wide range of disputes. He has successfully litigated commercial, post-closing and “busted deal” disputes in numerous jurisdictions, as well as shareholder derivative actions, partnership disputes and other matters involving allegations of breaches of fiduciary duties and fraud. Mr. Weiss has substantial experience litigating matters involving the intersection of commercial litigation and the pharmaceutical industry. He has also successfully represented clients in ERISA class actions and antitrust class actions and Federal Trade Commission investigations and in both state and federal product liability cases. In addition to his litigation experience, Mr. Weiss has substantial experience advising clients in connection with contract negotiations and litigation-avoidance strategies.
His recent matters include representing, defending and/or counseling:
- The Special Litigation Committee of Sequoia Mutual Fund in responding to a shareholder demand.
- The Gillette Company and Procter & Gamble Company in contract arbitration brought by one of the largest supplier of generic razors.
- A Fortune 500 company food manufacturer in a case alleging breach of contract and tortious interference.
- A major food manufacturer in a lawsuit challenging nationwide distribution practices.
- One of the world’s largest cash logistics and securities companies in a multi-million dollar post-acquisition fraud dispute.
- One of the largest asset recovery companies in a post-acquisition fraud/accounting arbitration.
- A national telecommunications company in a lawsuit against its former CEO for breaches of the fiduciary duty, defamation, tortious interference, theft of trade secrets and conversion.
- Teva Pharmaceuticals in various commercial matters, including disputes involving the Lanham Act.
- Defendants in multiple confidential investigations before the Federal Trade Commission.
- The managing partner of an investment bank in arbitration over the firm’s partnership agreement.
Mr. Weiss served as Special Assistant District Attorney for the Kings County District Attorney’s Office.
Mr. Weiss is extremely active in Goodwin’s pro bono efforts. He has represented numerous clients in both criminal and civil court including the March of Dimes, New Destiny Housing, the Children’s Museum of Easton, American Bird Conservancy and Happy Hope Factory. Mr. Weiss serves as the Secretary for the ABA’s Section of Litigation, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee.
Fordham University School of Law
University of Wisconsin-Madison
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
Recognition & Awards
Mr. Weiss was selected in 2015 and 2016 as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers. In recognition of his commitment to pro bono representation, Mr. Weiss was awarded the title Empire State Counsel by the New York State Bar Association in 2009 and 2014.