Mr. Carroll has experience in trademark litigation, both in federal court and before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, patent, copyright, trade secret and false advertising litigation. His recent experience includes representing:
- B&B Hardware in a 7-2 trademark victory before the U.S. Supreme Court in B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc.
- Nuance Communications, Inc. in multiple trade secret and non-competition disputes
- British Sky Broadcasting Ltd. in trademark infringement litigation
- Innov-X Systems, Inc. in defense of Lanham Act competitor false advertising litigation
- Honest Tea, Inc. in defense of false advertising class action
- Olympus NDT in a patent inventorship dispute involving patents related to x-ray fluorescence systems
- Multiple software companies in enforcing and defending copyright claims
Mr. Carroll's recent experience in antitrust litigation and government investigations includes representing:
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA and Barr Laboratories in defense of putative class actions challenging settlement of Hatch-Waxman litigation concerning Aggrenox
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA and Barr Laboratories in defense of putative class actions challenging settlement of Hatch-Waxman litigation concerning Solodyn
- Royal Bank of Scotland and affiliates in In re Credit Card Interchange Antitrust Litigation
- Defendants in multiple confidential investigations before federal and state antitrust agencies
Mr. Carroll has experience in a broad range of business litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on disputes arising under intellectual property licenses and technology transfer agreements. His recent experience includes representing:
- Finisar Corporation in arbitration against JDS Uniphase Corporation arising from breach of patent license agreement
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA in dispute with Shire PLC and Impax Laboratories, Inc. concerning license and distribution agreement
- Investment funds in sovereign debt litigation against the Republic of Argentina
- Multiple investment funds in defense of fraudulent conveyance action
Mr. Carroll is a member of the International Trademark Association, in which he serves on the U.S. amicus committee, and the Boston and American Bar Associations. He has provided pro bono legal services for numerous asylum applicants and unaccompanied minors in immigration proceedings.
Before joining Goodwin, Mr. Carroll was a litigation associate in the New York office of Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.