Mr. Carroll has experience in a broad range of business litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on disputes for life sciences companies arising under patent licenses, joint development agreements, and supply, manufacturing and quality agreements. His recent experience includes representing:
- Radius Health, Inc. in an ICC arbitration against Ipsen Pharma, S.A. arising from a license and co-promotion agreement
- Guerbet Ireland Unlimited in litigation against SpecGX, LLC arising from supply and quality agreements
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA in dispute with Shire PLC and Impax Laboratories, Inc. arising from license and distribution agreements
- Multiple life sciences companies in confidential arbitrations under the ICC, JAMS, and AAA arbitration rules
- Finisar Corporation in a AAA arbitration against JDS Uniphase Corporation arising from breach of patent license agreement
- Investment funds with claims of more than $1 billion in what the Financial Times called the “sovereign debt trial of the century” against the Republic of Argentina
Mr. Carroll has experience in trademark litigation, both in federal court and before the Trademark Trial & Appeal Board, patent, copyright, trade secret and false advertising litigation. His recent experience includes representing:
- Varsity Brands in a 6-2 copyright victory before the U.S. Supreme Court in Star Athletica, LLC v. Varsity Brands, Inc.
- B&B Hardware in a 7-2 trademark victory before the U.S. Supreme Court in B&B Hardware, Inc. v. Hargis Industries, Inc.
- Nuance Communications, Inc. in multiple trade secret and non-competition disputes
- Innov-X Systems, Inc. in defense of Lanham Act competitor false advertising litigation
- Honest Tea, Inc. in defense of false advertising class action
- Multiple software companies in enforcing and defending copyright claims
Mr. Carroll's recent experience in antitrust litigation and government investigations includes representing:
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA and Barr Laboratories in defense of putative class actions challenging settlement of Hatch-Waxman litigation concerning Aggrenox®
- Teva Pharmaceuticals, USA and Barr Laboratories in defense of putative class actions challenging settlement of Hatch-Waxman litigation concerning Solodyn®
- Royal Bank of Scotland and affiliates in In re Credit Card Interchange Antitrust Litigation
- Defendants in multiple confidential investigations before federal and state antitrust agencies
Mr. Carroll serves on the board of directors of civil legal aid provider Greater Boston Legal Services. He is a member of the International Trademark Association, for which he serves on the U.S. Legislation and Regulation Committee and previously served on the U.S. Amicus Committee. He has provided pro bono legal services for numerous asylum applicants and unaccompanied minors in immigration proceedings.
Before joining Goodwin, Mr. Carroll was a litigation associate at Debevoise & Plimpton LLP.