Ms. Kay’s recent experience includes representing:
- An institutional investor and developer partner in connection with the acquisition, development and $700 million financing of a 1.1 million-square-foot office building in New York City
- A real estate investment advisor and commingled investment fund in connection with a two-phase 47-story tower multifamily development project in New Jersey, involving a $140 million participated mortgage loan and two-tier joint venture structure
- A real estate fund in connection with the contested restructuring of several tiers of mortgage and mezzanine debt and equity capitalization on a 20-property U.S. hotel portfolio
- A real estate investment manager in connection with a 50/50 equity up front joint venture with a publicly traded foreign company on a ground up residential and retail development project in Boston
- A venture between an investment advisor and publicly traded REIT in connection with the acquisition and ultimate enforcement of junior tranche mezzanine debt, potential bankruptcy of the borrowers and successful conversion of the junior debt into, and recapitalization of, equity ownership in a portfolio of 28 U.S. hotels
- A single client insurance company separate account in connection with a joint venture to develop a two phase multi-family project in Washington D.C.
- An owner/operator in connection with the recapitalization of a hotel, modification of existing senior and junior debt, modification of hotel management arrangements, modification of union contracts and admission of new equity
- A majority equity owner in connection with the sale of its interest in a Manhattan office building to a private fund entering into a new joint venture with the minority JV member
- A real estate opportunity fund in connection with the establishment of a joint venture with a hotel developer and operator to redevelop and operate an historic hotel in South Beach
- An owner/operator in connection with a joint venture with a real estate fund to acquire and redevelop a portion of the Watergate project in Washington, D.C.
Ms. Kay serves on the Urban Land Institute’s Boston Advisory Board as well as on its Women’s Leadership Initiative. In addition, she is a past vice-chair of the ABA Real Property and Probate Section Committee on Legal Opinions.
Ms. Kay is responsible for developing the dedicated client team approach employed by Goodwin’s Real Estate Investment Management Practice on behalf of its clients, and she runs the largest of the firm’s real estate investment client teams. Prior to joining Goodwin Procter, she was an associate at Debevoise & Plimpton.