Whether the strategy is to cut losses and move on, work through, step back or place bets on the future, Goodwin's real estate finance lawyers are active market participants, creatively guiding clients through the challenges of the various credit markets. We understand the complexities involved in both existing and proposed capital structures and the varying motivations of stakeholders. Our broad and deep experience allows us to counsel clients effectively as they address a variety of financing needs and opportunities in an ever-evolving, and sometimes volatile, market. As the rapid pace of technology disrupts industries around the world, we partner closely with clients to embrace the promise and potential of innovation to make a lasting impact.
We represent banks, insurers and other lenders, as well as sponsors, institutional investors, and other borrowers in a wide range of debt and debt-related matters, including mortgage and mezzanine financings and refinancings, construction loans, CMBS loans, loan assumptions, agency debt transactions, loan extensions and restructurings, negotiated workouts, foreclosure and deed in-lieu transactions, bankruptcy proceedings, and litigation. We also represent clients making investments in distressed debt. As clients work to de-leverage their holdings, we also assist in evaluations of portfolios and with sales and other capital-raising transactions.
Our global real estate finance team has extensive experience in both up and down cycles, including with:
- Acquisition, construction and permanent mortgage financing for all property types
- Mezzanine and other subordinated debt financing
- Credit facilities for REITs and other operating companies
- Subscription secured credit facilities for funds
- Participated, syndicated and securitized debt
- Multi-layered capital structures and complex intercreditor arrangements
- Lender and borrower transactions
- Loan portfolio transactions
- Sales and acquisitions of performing and non-performing loans
- Workouts, recapitalizations and enforcement actions