- Serving as day-to-day fraud and abuse counsel to several medical device manufacturers by providing analysis of discount and rebate arrangements with customers, sales and marketing practices, financial arrangements with healthcare professionals, preparing policies and procedures, assisting with internal training and compliance matters;
- Counsels drug manufacturers on strategic approaches to compliance with all state drug transparency laws and regularly presents and publishes on new developments in these state laws;
- Regularly conducts regulatory due diligence reviews for numerous life sciences transactions, including mergers and acquisitions on behalf of private equity firms, and in connection with IPOs and SPACs, and advise clients on fraud and abuse, compliance, licensure, corporate practice of medicine, HIPAA, change of ownership, and other healthcare issues;
- Regularly advises both prominent and emerging pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical device manufacturers on strategic approaches to Sunshine Act compliance;
- Negotiated and advised on numerous managed care and rebate agreements with pharmacy benefit managers and payors on behalf of both emerging and prominent manufacturers;
- Advised company on strategic approaches to compliance with all aspects of the 340B Drug Pricing Program and integration of the 340B Drug Pricing Program into the company’s business model.
- Advised Chiasma, Inc., a commercial stage biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing oral therapies for rare and serious chronic diseases, on its definitive agreement to be acquired by Amryt Pharma plc in an all-stock combination;
- Advised initial purchasers J.P. Morgan Securities LLC and SVB Leerink LLC on MannKind Corporation’s (a biopharmaceutical company focused on the development of therapeutic products for chronic conditions) Rule 144A offering of $230 million 2.5% Convertible Senior Notes Offering;
- Advised Kingswood Capital Management, LP, a private investment firm primarily focused on investing in businesses in transition, in connection with its acquisition of Cost Plus World Market from Bed Bath and Beyond Inc;
- Advised Collective Medical Technologies, a real-time care collaboration network used by payors and healthcare organizations to improve patient outcomes, in connection with its sale to PointClickCare Corp. for approximately $600 million.
- Advised Centessa Pharmaceuticals in its $379.5 million initial public offering;
- Advised Graphite Bio, a gene editing company, in its $273.7 million initial public offering;
- Advised Cerevel Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company developing treatments for neuroscience diseases, in its $350 million initial public offering;
- Advised Aerovate Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing drugs for cardiopulmonary disease, in its $139.8 million initial public offering;
- Advised Chardan Capital Markets as underwriters in Femasys’ (a biomedical company focused on women’s healthcare) $34.45 million initial public offering;
- Advised Goldman Sachs and Co. as lead underwriter in Valneva’s (a specialty vaccine company focused on the development and commercialization of prophylactic vaccines for infectious diseases and COVID-19) $107.6 million initial public offering;
- Advised Goldman Sachs and Co. and J.P. Morgan as underwriters in Privia Health Group, Inc.’s (a technology-driven, national physician enablement company) $131.7 million initial public offering.
- Represented a practice management company in a Department of Justice (DOJ) investigation involving allegations of “upcoding” and other alleged fraudulent billing and coding practices;*
- Conducted multiple internal investigations on behalf of pharmaceutical drug and device manufacturers in response to allegations of violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute, the False Claims Act, and internal compliance violations;*
- Represented a managed care organization in a False Claims Act investigation of its Medicare Advantage reimbursement and related practices in response to a DOJ Civil Investigative Demand.*
*Denotes experience prior to joining Goodwin. Prior to joining Goodwin, Heath was an Associate at Latham & Watkins.
- Serving as a lead outside counsel to The Trevor Project, the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people, where he assists in negotiating service agreements, data privacy and security, healthcare regulatory issues, and employment law.
Heath is a member of the American Health Lawyers Association and the American Bar Association.