Goodwin lawyers and practices were honored at the LMG Life Sciences Americas Awards 2023, which took place on September 7 in New York City. Now in its 11th year, the LMG Life Sciences Americas Awards recognize the top-ranking lawyers, firms, and in-house counsel teams in the US and Canada who have had a significant impact on the life sciences industry over the past year.
Goodwin was named the Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year for 2023. The firm’s Life Sciences Collaborations & Licensing practice works with emerging-growth biotech and specialty pharmaceutical companies to strategically develop, exploit, and monetize their intellectual property and product portfolios. Goodwin’s deep bench of talented lawyers advises company clients throughout their entire life cycle, offering unmatched insight into deal terms, trends, and industry drivers.
Goodwin was also named the FDA Litigation & Enforcement Firm of the Year for 2023 for the second consecutive year. The firm’s FDA Litigation practice works with life sciences companies on pre-litigation strategy before the FDA and leads subsequent litigation efforts. Co-chaired by partners Brian Burgess and Alexander Varond, the team combines deep subject matter knowledge with general experience litigating challenges under the Administrative Procedure Act.
Goodwin partner Elaine Blais was named General Patent Litigator of the Year – New England. This is the third year that she has received this recognition. Blais serves on the firm’s Executive Committee and is the former head of Goodwin’s Litigation department in Boston.
Goodwin received the Impact Deal of the Year Award for the second consecutive year. This year, the firm was recognized for advising Sichuan Kelun-Biotech Biopharmaceutical in its $9.5 billion exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Merck to develop seven investigational preclinical antibody-drug conjugates (ADC) for the treatment of cancer. The Goodwin team included Wendy Pan, Christopher Zhong, Kevin Guan, Longfei Fang, Paul Jin, Kevin Walsh, Charlie Stewart, and Emily Unger.
In addition to the above wins, Goodwin was shortlisted in a number of categories, including:
- Life Cycle Firm of the Year
- Corporate Firm of the Year
- M&A Firm of the Year
- Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year – Generic
- Antitrust Firm of the Year
- Regulatory Firm of the Year
- Licensing & Collaboration Attorney of the Year – Wendy Pan
- M&A Attorney of the Year – Stuart Cable
- US Rising Star – Financial & Corporate – Gabriela Morales-Rivera
- Hatch-Waxman Litigator of the Year – Generic – Daryl Wiesen
- General Patent Litigator of the Year – New England – Elaine Blais
- Patent Strategy Attorney of the Year – Massachusetts – Catherine McCarty
- Antitrust Practitioner of the Year – Christopher Holding
- Regulatory Attorney of the Year: FDA Pharmaceutical – Alexander Varond
To learn more about Goodwin’s winners and see the full list of results, visit the LMG Life Sciences Americas Awards 2023.