Gretchen Scott is a partner in Goodwin’s Business Law Department and a member of the Strategic Technology Transactions and Licensing group and Data, Privacy and Cybersecurity group.
Ms. Scott’s technology transactions practice is sector agnostic and reaches across key industry verticals, such as software and SaaS, e-commerce, hardware and equipment, IT services, consumer goods and services, clean tech and energy and fintech.
She focuses on technology transactions and the commercialisation of technology, data and intellectual property rights, and counsels on related EU regulatory compliance, including EU data protection (GDPR), privacy and cybersecurity and EU competition “safe harbour” regimes and EU agency laws. Ms. Scott also advises on intellectual property, IT and data protection and privacy issues in joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions and venture capital and private equity transactions.
- a hedge fund on its agreement with a technology start up for an exclusive license to a clinical and molecular data system and technology platform.
- a provider of a motion analytics platform on its licensing agreement and data processing agreement with a global sportswear brand.
- U.S.-based web hosting and cloud computing provider on the launch of its new product website, including advice on EU consumer protection regulation.
- a U.S.-based remote technical services and support provider on its services agreement with a British based multinational enterprise software company.
- a blockchain technology platform provider on platform licensing arrangements with another blockchain technology platform provider.
- a global bank on its agreement with another bank relating to the development and implementation of a consumer-facing online banking platform.
- a leading soft drinks bottler and distributor on its outsourcing services agreement with a payroll processor.
- a cloud based technology provider on its template reseller agreements for Europe.
- a teacher training and recruitment consultancy provider on an App development agreement with a software developer.
- an audio equipment manufacturer on the sale of intellectual property, technology and other assets relating to part of its audio business.
- a global distributor on its EU distribution arrangements with U.S. partner, including advice on competition law compliance in vertical arrangements.
- a Middle Eastern investment fund on its strategic partnership agreement with GE relating to procurement of renewable energy assets.
- a U.S.-based provider of white labelled remote support services in its negotiations with a leading UK-based software provider, including GDPR compliance advice.
- a celebrity chef on his brand collaboration and services agreement with an international hotel chain.
- a Middle East-based toy retailer on its global franchising arrangements for its toy store brand and system.
- a U.S.-based financial technology, trading and information services provider to the capital markets on GDPR compliance in connection with new product offering to EU customers.
- a betting and gaming company on contractual arrangements relating to its online gaming platform for the Chinese market, including licensing agreements with UK IP owners and Chinese state entities.
- CGN during its negotiations with EDF Energy in relation to licensing of nuclear technology in connection with the joint venture development of Hinkley Point in the UK.
- a forex, bullion and commodities trading solutions provider on various matters connected with its core business, including a license agreement for its platform and license-out agreements to customers.
- a global hospitality brand on data commercialisation and licensing associated with its guest loyalty program.
- U.S.-based provider of white labelled remote support services in its negotiations with a leading UK based software provider, including GDPR compliance advice.
- Providing comprehensive GDPR readiness advice to a number of clients including: a life-style brands company, a U.S.-based funds manager and other participants in the funds ecosystem, charities, a web hosting and cloud computing provider.
- IoT platform provider on GDPR readiness strategy, data protection compliance, third party processor agreements and marketing regulation.
- U.S.-based cloud services provider on data protection compliance and data processing agreements with customers and sub-processor agreements with third party providers.
- Nasdaq listed company on cybersecurity risks and EU cybersecurity regulation.
- Biotech company on data protection matters relating to appointment of laboratory services provider.
- U.S.-based financial technology, trading and information services provider to the capital markets on GDPR compliance in connection with new product offering to EU customers.
- Frazier Healthcare Partners and Thomas H. Lee Partners, acting through their portfolio company CSafe Global, an international manufacturer and provider of cold chain equipment and thermal shipping services, on the acquisition of Softbox Systems. Softbox is an international provider of temperature control packaging to the biotech and pharmaceutical industries. Notably, Softbox supplies Pfizer with the ultra-low temperature controlled parcel shipper required in the distribution of its COVID-19 vaccines
- GTT Communications, Inc. on its definitive agreement to sell its infrastructure business to I Squared Capital for US$2.15 billion. I Squared Capital is an independent global infrastructure investment management firm focusing on energy, utilities, digital infrastructure, transport and social infrastructure.
- CoreHR and its shareholders, including longstanding firm clients JMI Equity and JMI Services, in connection with the sale of CoreHR to The Access Group.
- Amobee, a digital marketing company, in its acquisition (in liquidation) of Videology, an adtech company.
- ipipeline, provider of cloud-based software solutions for the financial services industry, in the acquisition of TCP LifeSystems, software solutions provider to life and pensions insurance companies.
- WisdomTree Investments Inc., in connection with its acquisition of ETF Securities’ European exchange-traded commodities, current and short–and-leveraged business.
- Amplify Brands on its acquisition of Tyrells (snacks business).
- Sophos Group, a security software and hardware company, in connection with its acquisition of security analytics startup, Barricade.
- Eventbrite, an event technology platform, in its acquisition of Ticketscript (self-service ticket platform for music events).
- Carpenter Technology on its acquisition of LPW Technology (metal powder manufacturer).
- Bregal on its acquisition of Options Technology (technology managed services, hedge fund technology and IT infrastructure products).
- DST on its acquisitions of Revolut (digital banking provider) and Simple Energy (UK startup energy provider).
- Fitbit Inc. in its acquisition of Vector (smartwatch startup).
- TA Associates on various acquisitions, including Compusoft (kitchen design software) and Bluejay Solutions (network solutions and logistics/transportation software).
- JMI Services in connection with an investment in Iris Software (UK-based enterprise software provider).
- Inflexion in its acquisition of Mycom Group (cloud native assurance, automation and analytics solutions provider) .
- ECI partners in connection with the sale of Chartco (marine navigation group) and Kelvin Hughes (manufacturer of navigation and surveillance systems and a supplier of navigational data).
Areas of Practice
University of Canterbury New Zealand
University of Canterbury
- England and Wales (Reg. Foreign Lawyer)
- High Court of New Zealand